Sunday, September 2, 2012

Blisters and Blessings

It's been a very eventful week. I've discovered that couple different things happen to you when you have eventful weeks: you get blisters and you learn to notice your blessings.

Allow me to extend this bit of profundity.
  • Blister: Humidity. My hair does not like the humidity. Back home, my hair will curl or straighten or whatever I want. Not so much when I'm swimming around the city (see halo of frizz, right). Also, the laundry that insists upon being line dried never dries. This is mildly absurd.
  • Blessing: Free Stuff. The week has been full of random free activities in which to participate and food of which to partake. Last night I saw a Shakespeare play for free (All's Well That Ends Well, in case you were wondering). I've been to a free concert, had free meals, and seen a couple free museum exhibits. So. Great.
  • Blister: Swollen Ankles. Yes. I am a 60 year old woman so my ankles apparently swell a lot when I change altitudes and humidity levels... Fun experience. 
  • Blessing: The Metro. The less walking I had to do while my ankles were swollen, the better.
  • Blister: Tiny Shower. (See previous post).
  • Blessing: Mini Fridge. I love not sharing space with the 20 other girls on my floor. It's the greatest. I'm fine sharing space with Toly, she doesn't take up much and she's clean. She probably deserves her own list item.
  • Blessing: My Roommate. I'm so glad I'm sharing this room with a girl I can stand. I am continually reminded that there aren't all that many of those in the world. Toly and I have a lot in common, and we can share clothes and shoes. I just doubled my wardrobe.
  • Blister: My Roommate. In the interest of fairness, I should say that it's not all sunshine and rainbows with this girl. In fact, it's the opposite. Toly is great for the most part... but she complains A LOT. She complains enough that I feel like she's complaining a lot, which should tell you something. And it's usually about trivial things, like how one of the guys dresses, or how one of the girls is always all over the guys, or how it's sooooo hot, or how her feet hurt, etc.
  • Blessing: Isosceles, My Smartphone. Whether I'm trying not to get lost, trying to find somewhere to eat, talking to the Charmer (which is what I've decided to call my boy for several reasons I can explain later if you so require), or planning what time I need to get to the metro to get to work on-time, I am eternally grateful that I have Isosceles as my loyal companion.
  • Blister: Getting Callings. Don't get me wrong, callings are great. I'm actually pretty excited. But you gotta love that awkward moment when your name gets called and you stand, and suddenly every eye in the congregation is on you. Immediately. And today was not a particularly pretty day. Just sayin'.
  • Blessing: Team Building Volleyball. I got paid to play volleyball with my coworkers as a team-building activity. I love my life.
  • Blister: Actual, Physical Blisters. I am going to need a pedicure so bad by the time I'm done here... My feet are not the biggest fan of this city, or my activities of late. Hopefully now that my swelling has gone down, this will get better.
In other news, I've been very touristy lately. Feel free to check out the pictures I will be putting on Facebook shortly. I hope things are okay back home. PM, you're amazing. Just go rock the socks off your job, and enjoy your pretentious hippie lifestyle. I love it. GNC, hang in there, and call me if you need to chat. Fresh, (if you ever read this) try not to drown in your homework. Go have some fun with the girls, they need you.

Love you ladies!

- The Rack

No comments:

Post a Comment