Thursday, September 27, 2012

The One Where I Decide to Quit Politics

I never thought I'd come to this. I am seriously so burnt out. SO burnt out.  I hate dealing with people. Political people, non-political people, stupid people - just people.

I especially hate that you can't trust political people - be it politician or people who work in politics. You never know if they actually like you, if they actually think you're funny and enjoy your company, or if they're doing what they need to to use you and keep you as a networking option. Which isn't to say that I haven't ever done this, because I have. But it makes me feel horrible. What makes me feel even worse is that nagging feeling that you have sometimes in the back of your mind when you can't help but wonder what these people are saying about you while you're gone, if they talk about you as ruthlessly as they talk about others while you're around. They're catty and petty, with very little real, deep, meaningful feelings for anyone. Why do you think there's so much infidelity amongst politicos?

Also, I hate making phone calls. HATE IT. I hate when people don't listen, when they just assume they know everything I'm saying and refuse to see the fact that I'm actually a human being who has a brain as opposed to some evil force that is trying to trick them into believing something they don't want and will take up an entire precious 60 seconds of their time that they will never get back.


I'm tired of hearing rhetoric. Of cheering on candidates and watching them screw things up, or say things that are disingenuous, or hear themselves say things that are disingenuous so many times that they begin to believe their own half-truths as realities. And that you never hear them acknowledge anything good about their opponents or anyone on the opposing side - and what's worse, I hate that we, the American people, are the ones who have made them that way and have encouraged their behavior.

I just got done watching an hour of debates between the UT-04 candidates, and I'm done. I'm done with the people who think they know things about politics when they don't actually use their brains because their minds are too closed and having to think would be scary. They'd rather two-dimensionalize and demonize "the other" than take the time to realize that this "other" is an actual person with actual views.

And isn't that what politics is about, nowadays? A popularity contest? A new sporting event where we pick our favorite teams and root for them? Make excuses for them when they fail? Get angry if they compromise with the other team?


So here it is. I'm quitting politics. I am hanging up my Politico hat, erasing the Washington Post, Politico, Salt Lake Tribune, and The Hill apps from my phone. I am quitting my job, removing all of my political Google alerts, refusing to look at my blackberry, and unliking all of the politicians on Facebook.

At least for tonight. Tonight, I am quitting politics, eating cereal and ice cream, and watching chick-flicks from the early 90s. The rest of the world can suck it. I'll return to it tomorrow.

-Paul Mitchell

P.S. This is how I feel right now. I am the dog. Politicians/politicos are the owner:


1 comment:

  1. Well that was thoroughly depressing. I take it I don't want to watch the UT-04 debates then? Can you give me a recap to spare me the pain?

    Also, that dog may be the most awesome thing I have seen all week. Which is saying a lot.

    ReplyDelete