Monday, November 19, 2012

I believe in term limits.

Only/still 19 days to go. I have very mixed feelings about this.

As you will have noticed, I put up about a million pictures on fb yesterday, basically spanning the whole semester. I reached the conclusion that it has been fun/crazy/wonderful/stressful/maddening/hilarious/fantastic/terrible/awkward/great/beautiful awesome, in every sense of the word. I'm trying to fight off a bit of panic at the thought of leaving this amazing city, but also there's this flood of relief that I can feel trying to break the dam. Don't know what to do about that, so I'm tabling it for another few days. Probably about 19.

Anyway, we heard from a certain very old public official from my lovely home state on Friday. There were moments while he was talking to us that I thought "Gee, he is such a great, crazy old man. I wish he was my grandfather or great uncle or something so I could listen to his crazy stories during the holidays."

Then it hit me. This crazy old man who was rambling and telling stories is the voice of my state to the government. His rhetoric was almost unbearable. The ad hominem attacks. The "us vs. them" mentality. The old fashioned, ignorant, value-laden speech. I was mildly disgusted.

The only conclusion I can draw from this: I so firmly believe in term limits. I believe there was a time when this crazy old man was just an enthusiastic man who went to bat on both sides of the aisle to accomplish things. But I also believe that that time has long passed.

The most frustrating part of all this is that I voted for him. I voted for him because I didn't want two freshman speaking for my state; I wanted someone on the Hill with some clout. That's probably how a lot of people felt, but I'm regretting that decision now. I might affiliate with a party just so that I can have some say in whether this happens in the future. Primary elections are the only way to accomplish anything back home, and our primary system sucks.

This is my life. Again, mixed feelings.

Politically/geographically/emotionally conflicted but always yours,

The Rack

P.S. - My latest time-wasting obsession: Paul Ryan "Hey Girl" memes. Here are a few gems to start your week off right.





Love you ladies!!

2 comments:

  1. The amount of penis references in this post is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, just a couple more.

    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120813075844-paul-ryan-hey-girl-meme-story-top.jpg

    http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/paul-ryan-hey-girl.jpg

    ReplyDelete